Did You Know that June 30th is the busiest moving day of the year?! Here is a 15-point checklist to help you complete your move with as little stress as possible!
1. Double-check all closets, drawers and shelves, in addition to the attic and garage to ensure they are empty. Be sure to empty the pantry, fridge and stove in your kitchen, as well as your medicine cabinet in your bathroom.
2. Carry important documents, money and jewelry with you.
3. Pack toys, games or special items for the kids to keep them busy during the move.
4. Remember to pack a box of basics that you may need on move-in day (tools, paper products, all-purpose household cleaners, etc.) Be sure to have it loaded last so that it will be the first off at your new home.
5. Don't pack paint, bottles of bleach, gas cans or other inflammables. It is against the law for movers to transport flammable and combustible materials.
6. Use strong boxes and containers that can be secured tightly. Purchase special boxes for dishes, wardrobes and other special items.
7. Pack audio-video equipment in their original boxes if you still have them. Label cables and tighten transit screws. Before removing cables, take pictures of the back of the unit so you can hook everything back up the same way. If removing screws, tape them to the objects they are removed from.
8. Avoid loading more than 50 lbs. into one box.
9. Label each box and indicate which room it should go in, whether it is fragile, and if it should be loaded last so it will be unloaded first.
10. Cushion contents with packing materials such as bubble wrap, newspaper or tissue. Save room by using towels and blankets to wrap fragile items.
11. Pack books tightly on end in small boxes. If they are musty smelling, sprinkle talcum powder between the pages and wrap the books before packing. Leave them stored for a couple of months to eliminate the smell.
12. Have rugs and draperies cleaned before moving and leave them in wrappings for the move.
13. Pack medicines in a plastic re-sealable zipper storage bag or leak-proof container.
14. Check the weather forecast for your move day. If it's going to be hot, be sure to have a cooler with lots of bottled water and sports drinks on ice.
15. Call your moving company the day before your move to get a contact number for the crew in case you need to contact them en route. Give your mover your cell phone number and be sure to fully charge your cell phone the night before your moving day.
(**Courtesy of Lyne Vincent, TWO MEN AND A TRUCK, Ottawa)